I’m an avid reader. I don’t get as much chance to do it as I would like, but it’s now become a firm bedtime habit to read for 20 minutes with my cup of Pukka night time tea. It’s a little bit of space for me every day and I love it.
I was talking about books to a friend recently though and told her about my bedtime habit, but said I couldn’t remember the last time I’d actually read a novel. She was confused!
And while I did read novels on holiday, I would say 75% of what I read these days could be termed ‘self-improvement’. Sometimes it’s about anatomy and physiology, but more often than not its about how I can be more confident, efficient, mindful or just more fabulous! I could never claim that any of these books on their own has changed my life. But every one in my list below has inspired me, and encouraged me to be better.
I can’t recommend strongly enough doing a little work on mind as well as body, so here are my favourite 5 recent reads:
- Essentialism – Greg McKeown – If you are too busy to truly focus on any one thing in life and find yourself rushing from pillar to post without ever getting the opportunity to really think about where you’re going and why, this is the book for you.
- You are a Badass – Jen Sincero – a great, uplifting read about how we can all create a life we really love. I loved the humour in this book and found myself smiling and nodding along more than once.
- Do Less, Get More – Shaa Wasmund – a compact book that doesn’t waste pages and encourages you to simplify your life to get more out of it. Lots of practical tips in this one too that you can apply straight away.
- Playing Big – Tara Mohr – find your talent and let it shine. This book will help you to stop thinking small and letting the way you think limit you and stop you from achieving what you really want in life.
- The Miniaturist – Jessie Burton – okay, so this IS a novel with no self help in sight. But sometimes you have to read something that whisks you into a different world. If you read the synopsis you might not go for this book, but believe me, it pulls you in!
I love getting recommendations from others on books they’ve read, so if you have any great recent reads I’d love to hear!